T-Minus

Friday, February 22, 2013

Good News



Received some good news this week.  My training has been hampered lately due to a blood clot in a varicose vein.  These types of clots are not as serious as DVT (Deep Vein Thrombosis) because they are close to the surface of the skin.  The last few weeks my doctor wanted me to ride, but not induce too much stress. So I have been riding at a nice easy pace and not exerting myself on climbs.  This week the doctor re-scanned the veins and found that damaged vein should heal without surgery.  I now have the OK to train without restriction.

Photo from Christ' Hope International web page

A word about the cause;  it is estimated that there are about 30 million orphans in Sub-Saharan Africa.  Half of whom are orphaned as a result of AIDS.  By comparison, the US has approximately 500,000 orphans without a permanent family home.  To give you an idea of the size of the problem Los Angeles County CA has approximately 8 million people. In Sub-Saharan Africa the children orphaned by the AIDS crisis will fill two county's the size of LA.   According to some statistics in third world countries 60% of female enslaved in   sex trafficking are orphans.  Christ Hope International is attempting to stem the tidal wave of destruction caused by the AIDS epidemic in Africa, one child at a time.

I am excited with the progress of the donations.  Thanks to all who have supported the effort so far.  I would particularly like to thank my classmates from Clark High School.  They are rallying around me and this cause. I can not tell you how encouraging your efforts have been.  We will continue to strive to reach the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment